Exploring New Zealand’s Gambling Industry: Insights, Reviews, And Economic Implications

Exploring New Zealand’s Gambling Industry: Insights, Reviews, And Economic Implications

New Zealand boasts a vibrant and thriving gambling industry, which stands as one of the nation’s foremost attractions and forms of entertainment. Reports indicate that a staggering 80% of New Zealanders participate in some form of gambling, showcasing its widespread appeal.

This upward trend contributes to the entertainment landscape and holds the potential to bolster New Zealand’s economy. However, as the industry expands, Kiwis seek reliable resources for navigating the diverse array of gambling options. From seeking a trustworthy  New Zealand casinos review to accessing tools for responsible gambling, the need for informative and accessible resources has never been greater.

Join us as we delve into the facts and statistics that shed light on the dynamics of the country’s gambling industry.

Understanding the New Zealand Gambling Market Through Stats

During the pandemic, New Zealand’s gambling scene took a hit. Places like pubs, clubs, and casinos had to close temporarily. Because of this, the money made from poker machines, which are widespread in the country, dropped to as low as $128 million.

But, things are looking up. Despite the tough times, more people are getting into gambling, and the money coming in is growing. Let’s take a look at the numbers:

1. New Zealand’s Gambling Expenditure Hit $2.4 Billion in 2018

According to Statista, in 2018, New Zealanders spent $2.4 billion on gambling overall, and this spending has been steadily increasing since 2011. Most of this money goes into gaming machines, particularly poker machines, found across the country.

2. New Zealand’s Poker Machine Craze: 17,799 Machines Across the Country

In New Zealand, poker machines, or “pokies,” are deeply embedded in the country’s gambling culture. Eight years after gambling was legalized, pokies became legal and highly popular.

According to the Problem Gambling Foundation of New Zealand, there are 17,799 poker machines spread across the country. Interestingly, 82% of these machines are located in pubs and clubs, with the remaining 18% found in casinos.

3. Kiwis Parttake in Different Forms forms of Gambling and Spend $572 On Average

New Zealanders are known for their affinity for gambling, with an average expenditure of $572 per person, as reported by Radio New Zealand citing the Department of Internal Affairs. While poker machines, or “pokies,” hold significant popularity, other forms of gambling also thrive across the country, namely:

Race betting
Scratch cards
Sports betting
Casino games

Related: Voice-Activated Slots: The Next Step In Online Slot Technology

More specifically, here’s how much money Kiwis spend on each form of gambling:

Gambling form





4. Online Gambling has Gained Significant Traction in NZ

Digital casinos are a big hit in New Zealand, with a whopping 80% of Kiwi gamblers getting in on the action. Even though online gaming has been around for over a decade, it’s really taken off recently.

Here’s the twist: while online gambling is illegal if it’s based in New Zealand, there are still ways for Kiwis to play. Only Lotto NZ and the TAB are allowed to provide online gambling within the country. However, many Kiwis use offshore websites to place their bets. Because these sites are based overseas, New Zealand’s Department of Internal Affairs can’t keep tabs on most of the online gambling happening in the country. It’s a bit of a loophole!

5. The Online Gambling Scene in New Zealand is Only Getting Bigger

The future looks bright for the online gambling market in New Zealand, with projections indicating that it will reach a whopping $600 million by 2024. What’s even more impressive is the average revenue per user, which is expected to hit $2,750 by the same year.

If we add it all up, the total revenue for the market could soar to $1.25 billion by 2024. These figures highlight the significant growth and potential of online gambling in New Zealand, reflecting the increasing popularity of digital casinos among Kiwi gamblers.


To sum up, these stats tell us a lot about gambling in New Zealand. Even though things were tough during the pandemic, people still love to gamble, especially on poker machines and online.

Despite some legal restrictions, online casinos are hugely popular. Looking ahead, it’s clear that gambling is a big part of Kiwi culture, with plenty of growth potential in the digital realm. These numbers give us a glimpse into the world of gambling in New Zealand and how it’s changing over time.


Copyright © 2024 Yabaloaded.com.ng All rights reserved. The information contained in Yabaloaded.com.ng may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Yabaloaded.com.ng.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.