10 Countries Allowing Foreign Students Bring Dependants

10 Countries Allowing Foreign Students Bring Dependents

Some countries with prominent institutions have recognised the need to have loved ones around while studying. They have developed means like the Dependent Visa which allows foreign students to bring in their family members.

The United Kingdom (UK) used to be at the forefront of countries with room for dependency. However, to curb the migration rate into the country, the British Government announced on its official website on 2nd January, 2024 that foreign students can no longer bring dependents.

Ten of the countries where dependents are still allowed are the USA, Canada, Germany, Australia, Austria, Malta, Japan, China, Denmark, and Finland.


Even though it is expensive, Canada is a priority choice for students looking to be with their loved ones while studying. The country’s immigration policies make it easier for students to bring in a spouse and children. Canada offers a dependent visa programme that enables the dependents of international students to work full-time when certain criteria are met.

Some of the required documents for bringing dependents into Canada are a visa application form, Proof of relationship, Letter of acceptance, Financial proof, Language proficiency, Medical examination, and Police clearance certificate amongst others. For more information on Canada dependent visas, follow this link:


Finland is another progressive country that considers the family life of international students. The country offers a D visa; a kind of visa that gives you 100 days of residency before your actual resident permit.

Getting your spouse to stay with you as an international student in Finland is much easier than applying together as a couple. The spouse’s residence permit takes around seven months to process.

Bringing in dependents into Finland also requires that you have the financial strength to support the person. For more information on how to study in Finland, visit www.finland.fi.


Most of the institutions in this country are public/government owned, so there is usually a high level of applicants for every course due to low tuition fees and excellent educational level. Germany offers a family reunion visa that allows family members of international students to reside temporarily or permanently, depending on the course duration of the principal student. Dependents are also allowed to work.

The general requirements for Germany’s family reunion visas are the Sponsor’s valid residence permit, Sufficient living space, Adequate health insurance, Financial security, German language skills, and Age declaration for students and spouses.

To get more information on the German family reunion visa, visit


Malta is a beautiful English-speaking country in southern Europe. The country offers high-quality education and has become a choice destination for international students. Apart from access to career opportunities and education tax benefits, Malta also provides various means for foreign students to bring their family members through the Malta Family visa.

The three most common types of Malta Family visa are the spouse family visa, the child family visa, and the dependent family visa.


Just like in other countries, there are certain eligibility criteria to obtain the Maltese family visa, they are; Relationship requirements, Financial requirements, Health insurance, Proof of Relationship, and Proof of Accommodation amongst others. See for more info.





Japan is a friendly, safe, and affordable country for international students to study in. Unknown to many, the country also allows foreign students to bring in their family members.


If a foreigner in Japan under the residence status of a “student” wishes to bring family members to Japan to live with them, he or she must acquire a dependent visa for each family member. Note that only the spouse and children of the student are eligible for a dependent visa.

To acquire the Japan family dependent visa, one must either apply through an overseas Japanese embassy or the Principal student can apply for a Certificate of Eligibility at an immigration bureau in Japan on behalf of the family members.

It is important to get accustomed to life in Japan and get a stable accommodation before bringing in dependents, to see all of the requirements, visit


Like Canada, Australia has provisions for foreign students to apply for dependent visas while applying for themselves. You must, however, remember to declare all of your family members in your student application form.

The Department of Home Affairs allows most students to bring their immediate family members to Australia, these include your spouse and children under 18 years of age. Dependent partners may also have unrestricted work rights, while dependent children can attend school in Australia. You can get more information at


One of the advantages of studying in Austria is that it gives you the avenue to learn different languages while studying with your preferred language. The country’s official language is German, but being a multi-lingual country, the majority of the population also speaks English and Austro-Bavarian as its official languages.

If your family members are looking to join you during your study in Austria, they’ll need to apply for their residence permits and visas. You will need to prove that you have sufficient funds to support your dependents and you both must not be less than 21 years old, in the case of married people.

There are several exceptions for applicants who are not from third-country nationals, click more information.


The most fascinating factor about China is its exciting culture and long history amidst its excelling technological industry. Chinese institutions are also quite cheaper than some European country’s institutions.

With so many advantages of studying in China, it is not without its challenges, the language barrier being the chief.

Bringing in dependents as an international student in China can be complicated but it is possible. Your family members can apply for either an S1 or S2 visa, depending on the length of their stay and the purpose of travel.

The S1 visa is issued to family members of foreign residents in China for long-term stay purposes. This visa is valid for up to 180 days and can be extended in China for 180 days. The S2 visa, on the other hand, is issued to family members of foreigners who visit China for a short-term stay. Access more information from


Denmark is considered one of the safest havens for international students because it is one of the least corrupt countries with low crime rates.

As much as it is advisable to learn the Danish language to enable you to adapt very well to society, Denmark does not require English proficiency tests for students and their dependents.

Denmark recognises and respects the place of family bonding and the roles it plays in encouraging your academic pursuit. The Student Dependent visa allows spouses and Children under the age of 18 to be with their loved ones while they study. Follow this link to get more information from the Danish website


Apart from the fact that America has one of the biggest economies in the world, another reason why you should study in America is that the environment is multicultural, there are huge career opportunities and the standard of education is world-class.

The United States allows international students to bring their spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 through F-2 visas. Principal students are advised to check the requirements of their institutions and courses before applying for a dependent visa. To get more information on student and Dependent visas, visit

You must do in-depth research on the course you want to study, the institution, and the country you want to study in before making applications. And ensure that you consult with the country’s embassy to be on a safer side.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.